ThunderCats Lair Message Boards/Forums  

Go Back   ThunderCats Lair Message Boards/Forums > Other Forums > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Speak your mind about almost anything! Forum rules will be strictly enforced.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
He-Fan
Site Team Leader

Default The official "Everything To Do With Star Wars" thread!! :)

Hi everyone,

There's been a lot of discussion in this thread about Star Wars!

Some of the content is getting a bit Star Wars (and thus non-ThunderCats) specific, and whilst it's not a massive deal in this instance, I thought it would be a sensible idea to start up a thread where folks can discuss anything and everything to do with Star Wars without worry of taking a ThunderCats thread off-topic!

So, here it is! I'm a huge Star Wars fan myself - the first movie I ever went to see on the big screen was Episode III, I own two different talking Yoda toys, and a small selection of the action figures (although nothing newer than about 2006)!

Star Wars is one of those toylines that I'd collect actively if I had more storage space and money - I used to regularly go into Toys'R'Us and drool over some of the amazing vehicles and playsets, it would take very little for my willpower to crack!

I absolutely cannot wait for the Star Wars Blu-Rays - I don't own any (even though I can play them on my PS3), but these will be a "must buy" for me!

So yep, fellow Star Wars fans, have at it - discuss anything and everything to do with this awesome property right here!

Take care...

Click the image to open in full size.
He-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
upinout
TCL Member

I've loved the original trilogy since I was a little kid. But I really dislike the new movies and have completely ignored all the animated stuff.

The way I see it is this...

When Lucas set out to make the original star wars movie, he had a story to tell, and was forced to come up with some creative ways to do the special effects to tell his story. Great job. Empire strikes back and Return of the jedi simply continued that story and lucas continued to come up with new special effects to facilitate the story.

In my opinion, the prequel movies were the exact opposite. It seemed like Lucas was more concerned with how far he could push the special effects envelope and threw together a story to facilitate all the cool effects he wanted to do.

In the original trilogy the character development felt organic or natural. The prequel trilogy characters felt forced and artificial.

I'll be passing on the initial blu ray release. I've got my DVD's to hold me over until the 3D conversions are done and available on blu ray.
upinout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
mcss aerocoupe

My only issue with the Prequel Trilogy is that it feels too rushed. From the start of Episode 4 to the end of Episode 6 could be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years the way I see it. But there is a 10 year gap between Episodes 1 and 2, and another 3 years between Episodes 2 and 3. Then of course like 16-18 years between Episodes 3 and 4.

I do like the Clone Wars show, but it is a little sad that there's only a few characters that you have to worry about. I mean, seriously, when Padme and Jar Jar get poisoned in that one episode, did anyone really think they wouldn't survive? They had to otherwise they couldn't be in Episode 3. Ahsoka, on the other hand could be eliminated in almost any episode, so the danger to her is more possible.
mcss aerocoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Kameinu
Mutant

Send a message via MSN to Kameinu

Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
Star Wars is one of those toylines that I'd collect actively if I had more storage space and money - I used to regularly go into Toys'R'Us and drool over some of the amazing vehicles and playsets, it would take very little for my willpower to crack!
And you've done the right thing not diveing into collecting Star Wars. As soon as I graduated High School I started collecting. When the Clone Wars toys came out. Three years later, I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put all the ships I've bought over the course of two years. They're really expensive nowadys and take to much space. If they where all like my AT-AT walker, thing is 2ft tall, and looks great in a living room. It actually passes for a nice house decoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinout View Post
I've loved the original trilogy since I was a little kid. But I really dislike the new movies and have completely ignored all the animated stuff.
Frankly I find the premise of the prequel trilogy far superior to that of the original trilogy. I love complex and expanding universes, and this is what I saw in the prequel trilogy. The prequel trilogy is what really cemented the concepts of this universe and what allowed us to finally visualize them.

Though it falls head first on how the premise is executed. The original trilogy had this charm and you felt like you where there for the ride. It was a set of great adventures stories in a magnificent universe.

The prequel trilogy..everything felt so forced. If it wasn't for the visuals and many of the concepts it presented, as said, it'd deserved to burn a million times over.

Quote:
The way I see it is this...

When Lucas set out to make the original star wars movie, he had a story to tell, and was forced to come up with some creative ways to do the special effects to tell his story. Great job. Empire strikes back and Return of the jedi simply continued that story and lucas continued to come up with new special effects to facilitate the story.

In my opinion, the prequel movies were the exact opposite. It seemed like Lucas was more concerned with how far he could push the special effects envelope and threw together a story to facilitate all the cool effects he wanted to do.

In the original trilogy the character development felt organic or natural. The prequel trilogy characters felt forced and artificial.
100% agreed.

Quote:
I'll be passing on the initial blu ray release. I've got my DVD's to hold me over until the 3D conversions are done and available on blu ray.
Same. I already own Episodes II-VI on DVD. Not in a hurry to spend anymore on SW anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcss aerocoupe View Post
My only issue with the Prequel Trilogy is that it feels too rushed. From the start of Episode 4 to the end of Episode 6 could be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years the way I see it. But there is a 10 year gap between Episodes 1 and 2, and another 3 years between Episodes 2 and 3. Then of course like 16-18 years between Episodes 3 and 4.
The prequel trilogy just doesn't have the heart of the original trilogy. Just look at Anakin's growth and you start to question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcss aerocoupe View Post
I do like the Clone Wars show, but it is a little sad that there's only a few characters that you have to worry about. I mean, seriously, when Padme and Jar Jar get poisoned in that one episode, did anyone really think they wouldn't survive? They had to otherwise they couldn't be in Episode 3. Ahsoka, on the other hand could be eliminated in almost any episode, so the danger to her is more possible.
Sad and it makes it boring. Ashoka is really the only instersting one in that aspect. Specially because whatever happens to her will most likely help trigger the unstability we see from Anakin in episode III. But they keep dragging the damn series for so long it's annoying. Seriously, all this happens in less than two years? Yet they don't really change? (Except Ashoka apparently.)
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Lord Slithor
Mutant

Here's my take on it...

I was a Star Wars fan from way back. I was 6 when I first saw it in the theaters. So I was at the right age for it. Up until then, I think the only other franchises I was into at that time were Star Trek, Space: 1999 and Planet of the Apes. I had always liked Science Fiction, though, watching episodes of Irwin Allen's shows (Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, etc.) and catching the old Sci-Fi and Horror movies every Saturday afternoon on WPHL-17's "Mad Theatre" and "Shock Theatre" and later channel 48's "Creature Double Feature." I was really into the Japanese stuff, like the Godzilla movies and Ultraman and Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot. Once in a while I would also get lucky and see one of Ray Harryhausen's movies too, like The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, and I thought they were awesome.

But once I saw Star Wars, it blew me away. And I think in that moment that it really cemented my interest in all things Sci-Fi related. And naturally when the TV networks starting making shows in the wake of its success (Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Project U.F.O., Star Blazers, etc.) I watched them too. And of course, I bugged my parents to buy all the toys...at least the ones they could afford. I had some of the bigger ones, like that fabled Death Star playset and a Millennium Falcon, but never got an AT-AT (a situation I remedied last year).

But here's the thing. While I loved Star Wars, I was never the type of fan to get that obsessed over it. I didn't mind for example that George Lucas decided to touch-up the effects for the special editions because I had to admit, they were starting to get a little dog-eared (and those hold-out mattes around the spaceships were especially distracting). I didn't care about whether or not Han or Greedo shot first because the end result was the same either way: dead Greedo. And I liked that they put back the scene with Jabba and Han in Episode IV because it was in the Marvel comic adaptation that I had, and had always wanted to see it restored (even if some of the dialogue was lifted word-for-word from the earlier scene with Greedo).

And while I was excited about the prequel trilogy, my expectations weren't sky-high for it. I wanted another rollicking adventure in the Star Wars universe, and that's what I got. In hindsight, yes, Jar Jar was annoying. And they could have cast a better actor for Anakin than Jake Lloyd (they should have gone with Haley Joel Osment, whom Lucas mysteriously passed on). I also enjoyed Episodes II and III for what they were. I didn't mind the acting or the dialogue so much, because by that time, I knew that was never Lucas' strong point. (I remember an interview with Carrie Fisher where she said she told Lucas at one point, "You can write this s**t, but you can't say it!") Empire and Jedi only worked as well as they did because Lucas wasn't directly involved with them. Had he been more hands-on with those movies, I'm sure the results would have been very, very different.

But while I got into Star Wars at a very young age, I don't subscribe to the whole "George Lucas raped my childhood" meme. As much as I like Star Wars, I know enough to not take it so seriously. It was conceived from the start to be a pastiche of pulp sci-fi space operas like Flash Gordon and E.E. Doc Smith's Lensman series. It was lighthearted action-adventure, and wasn't supposed to provide social commentary in the way that, say, Star Trek did. They were both very different animals. I've seen Mr. Plinkett's lengthy critiques on the Prequel Trilogy. And while he does make some astute criticisms, he overanalyzed it waaaaaaaaay too much. And somehow, no matter how much people rag on them, I can't bring myself to not like those moves. I'll take them, warts and all; just because I like the concept of Star Wars and what it stands for and it's fun to visit that world.

So I'm very much looking forward to the Blu-Rays, unlike some fans who seem to be awaiting them with a mixture of anticipation and dread.

Last edited by Lord Slithor; 08-26-2011 at 06:53 AM..
Lord Slithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
MaMutt
TCL Junior Member

Star Wars is awesome; the original trilogy are my favorites but I also like the new trilogy and reads some of the books and is immersed in the fandom. I don't think I will ever stop liking this franchise; It's so rich with content.
MaMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Daremonger
Thunderian Legend

Star Wars is truly the best. 2012 marks the franchise's 35th anniversary. The Force is still going strong after all these years.
Daremonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
Lord Slithor
Mutant

So... What do you all think of the Star Wars Kinect game and its Galactic Dance-Off segment? (Particularly, the "I'm Han Solo" bit?)

There are howls of moral outrage from fans crying "Blasphemy!" Me? I think it's funny as hell!

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Movie-Brat
Berserker

I've been a Star Wars fans before the prequels came out. Basically, I remember seeing a commercial for the last VHS releases of the unaltered trilogy and being interested. Finally I think either a few months or maybe a year later (probably the former), I recieved Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. I've watched it constantly and I ended up getting the latter two entries. And the best part, I did see the 1997 special edition of A New Hope on the big screen and it was definitely worth it.

And then came Episode I, when I went to see Enemy of the State (my sister's idea), I saw the trailer and loved it. I wanted to see it so much that I probably wished it came sooner. Like everyone, I got sucked into the hype and I loved it when it came out. Looking it at now, it doesn't hold up to be honest. Jar Jar is annoying of course but it just seemed bland to me.

Episode II came and again, loved it back then and well now, it's worth watching just the action sequences.

Episode III on the other hand, this one holds up. This one was actually pretty good and this is the one instance where I agree with my past self. It was dark, the action was good and it was about the plot. Yes, the acting tends to be wooden but Ian
McDiarmond made a pretty good villain.

In between the years of Episodes II and III, I did see the micro series Clone Wars that aired on Cartoon Network, loved it and still do. The 2008 series, it's not bad. It's good I'll say that, I don't mind the character Ahsoka Tano, she does get her share of character development and Cad Bane is awesome. And you know, even the acting is better in the cartoons.

I also had a share of Star Wars toys which I don't own anymore and I remember the Star Tours ride which was fun.

As for the special editions; first off, I'm not going to say "Lucas raped my childhood" because I'm annoyed people are using the word "rape" because it sounds like they don't know what the word means. Like they're saying it to sound "smart" or at least "cool." It's not when you read the actual stories about that sort of thing, it just makes them look stupid.

That being said, I find the changes unnecessary and they're worse in the Blu Ray discs.
Movie-Brat is offline   Reply With Quote