ThunderCats Lair Message Boards/Forums  

Go Back   ThunderCats Lair Message Boards/Forums > 2011+ ThunderCats Forums > ThunderCats Cancelled Movie Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ThunderCats Cancelled Movie Discussion Forum to discuss the now defunct ThunderCats CGI-animated film that was planned, but later cancelled in favour of the 2011 animated series.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #21
Bengali
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by catspat View Post
Yes, Lion-O was definitely full of himself at the start, and I completely agree that watching him grow up was the best part of the series. But the Lion-O we know and love never behaved like a complete jackass as is shown in the test footage, even before his Anointment Trials. And to be honest, I don't know if it was Third Earth that Lion-O was on. It may have been, but it also could have been the area outside the Thunderian capital city, which was shown in the "Return to Thundera" episode from Season One.
Merged Post:

I don't doubt that, Manny, but they should have done a better job with portraying Lion-O. At least they had Slithe pretty much like he was in the old cartoon series. Lion-O, however, acts like such an imbicile that it makes the young Lion-O in the "Exodus" pilot look mature. It was only test footage, granted, but it wouldn't have hurt for them to make the grown Lion-O from the footage more like the grown one from "Exodus". That's what I'm saying.
With all due respect, I think your exaggerating a bit. I don't think he was acting like a brat or 'imbicile' at all. You could tell he was scared but at the same time being confident that he is the lord of the tcats, just like the cartoon. The show boating at the beginning was done for himself, there was nobody around so he wasnt 'showing off'.

I wish this movie would have been made. The new cartoon images make me cringe, this made me really excited.

Last edited by Bengali; 02-13-2011 at 07:15 AM..
Bengali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #22
Saint Doyle
Glass Walker

Default No no no no no no no no no no.

If this were the direction our long awaited Thundercats revival were to take I would be jumping ship immediately. I hate everything about this. Thank god the powers that be decided to go with a cartoon.
Saint Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #23
Chrisuyver
TCL Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
With all due respect, I think your exaggerating a bit. I don't think he was acting like a brat or 'imbicile' at all. You could tell he was scared but at the same time being confident that he is the lord of the tcats, just like the cartoon. The show boating at the beginning was done for himself, there was nobody around so he wasnt 'showing off'.

I wish this movie would have been made. The new cartoon images make me cringe, this made me really excited.
Im on board with u that this would have been an Awsome movie and that lion-o is portrayed just fine. I do like the cartoon though but the thing I don't get is that people are all for the cartoon but all we've seen so far is a couple of shots of it wow can u base it of that for all we know lion-o can be portrayed in the same way or worse. I just wish the higher ups went on with this project it would have been great.
Chrisuyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #24
Endorx
Rampager

To put it bluntly

That was ****..... That would even stain my look on thundercats it was that bad
Endorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #25
Mercury Cougar
TCL Junior Member

I think it could have been much worse. I liked how they portrayed Lion-o and the action looked pretty intense. However I thought Slithe was just some random mutant at first. Looked nothing like him. And I am hoping that Sword of Omens was just the test footage version.
Mercury Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #26
Endorx
Rampager

If the characters were similar looking to the originals.. Im sure it would sway alot more folk into liking it...
Old 02-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #27
Bengali
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorx View Post
If the characters were similar looking to the originals.. Im sure it would sway alot more folk into liking it...
The same can be said for the new 'anime'. I don't get people's negative reaction to this yet the new cartoon designs look ten times worse. I've watched this footage over 20 times now and it still hasnt gotton old. I think WB would of hit a home run with this movie, it just has that 'feel'. They were on the right track. Too bad its been cancelled (appearently).
Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #28
Endorx
Rampager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengali View Post
The same can be said for the new 'anime'. I don't get people's negative reaction to this yet the new cartoon designs look ten times worse. I've watched this footage over 20 times now and it still hasnt gotton old. I think WB would of hit a home run with this movie, it just has that 'feel'. They were on the right track. Too bad its been cancelled (appearently).

I STRONGLY disagree!! The Cartoon series characters are 200% better than those weak designs in that short test movie.

The new designs don't totally differ from the old, and the updates are a great move in my eyes with the way cartoons have developed for the new generation.

If it wasnt for the sword and the script in the clip.. You wouldnt even know its anything to do with the thundercats.. Hence why its super gay...
Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #29
mcss aerocoupe

I gotta agree with Endorx here. The movie designs show almost no hints of the original... In other words, take away the sword and claw shield and show it to a ThunderCat fan and they would not have instantly thought of Lion-O.

But the new WB designs (for the most part) are easy to see hints of the original, and they still have human-ish faces. Take away the sword and claw shield from the WB Lion-O, and he looks like a young Claudus. Take away Panthro's nunchucks and you still instantly know it is Panthro, even with those horrid side burns. Take away Tygra's whip (and even let him keep the laser) and you still instantly recognize the stripes and hairstyle. Snarf-cachu (combining Snarf with my guess at the spelling of that yellow PokeMon critter that is apparently one of the main characters) is even an instantly recognized design. Even the new Grune figure needs no name plate by it to tell you who it is.

Plus, one key factor with most people's opinion of the canned CGI movie was the script that was leaked. It was total garbage. It didn't "re-imagine" a few details, it completely rewrote the ENTIRE ThunderCats mythology. From there, things go downhill fast for many fans. New and old stories have nothing in common. New and old character designs have nothing in common. Then a test video comes out and does more to show how far from the original they were going than how much it had in common.
mcss aerocoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #30
Wolf873
Glass Walker

I can't believe I missed this post . Anyway, mixed feelings about it, but generally speaking I'm not that picky so I can see myself enjoying it. Shame it got canceled. Got to give them credit for an awesome Slithe design, I hope new toons have something similar.
Wolf873 is offline   Reply With Quote