ThunderCats Lair Message Boards/Forums  

Go Back   ThunderCats Lair Message Boards/Forums > 2011+ New ThunderCats > 2011 ThunderCats Statues & Collectables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2011 ThunderCats Statues & Collectables Discussion on the 2011 and beyond statues, collectables and merchandise

Old 06-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Mark / Grizzlor
Site Director

Send a message via Skype™ to Mark / Grizzlor
Default Pop Culture Shock - submit your interview questions (and discuss Lion-O)

As you'll soon see on the front page, ThunderCatsLair.org is the first site to bring you an exclusive reveal of the work in progress - not final Lion-O statue by Pop Culture Shock. The image we're sharing doesn't include the base or the cloth costume that will come with the final version and there may still be some changes to the statue before it is finalized.

Jerry Macaluso who heads up the work on the ThunderCats statues has kindly agreed to an interview with ThunderCatsLair.org and so we're inviting you to submit your questions of Jerry in this thread.

I'll include a select number of questions in a list for the interview and we'll publish Jerry's answers here on the site.

Thanks,
Grizz

EDIT:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Manny; 06-16-2010 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Added Image
Mark / Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Lordore

A good quality close up picture, except the two photos from the back we have seen so far, would shed light on the Premium Format Lion-o statue and answer some questions, until then it was a great idea to take the initiative to interview the man behind Lion-o’s production. I’ve already read through the Statue Forum site about some important information like the size which is going to be 38’’ (including base and tip of the sword) and whether it is going to be a realistic version or likeness based on the cartoon (as Jerry had mentioned it wouldn’t be 100% realistic nor 100% cartoon, but an amalgamation, closest to what McGuiness did in the comics) so avoiding to repeat an already covered question I came up with the following issues:

1) Are you planning on doing more than the main protagonists Lion-o and Mumm-Ra? If yes, are they all going to be ¼ scale statues?

2) So if it isn’t Snarf who is going to be the Exclusive to accompany Lion-o and also have you decided on the light up feature sword of omens?

3) Judging by the pose at the photos we have already seen of the Lion-o statue, did you try to recreate and were you inspired by the cover of Thundercats: Reclaiming Thundera comic, issue 1 or from the opening intro at the original cartoon where at the very beginning Lion-o is standing on top of a rock?

4) Any thoughts about making Thundercats statues for the new 2011 series as well?
Lordore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Grune_The_Destroyer
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordore View Post

4) Any thoughts about making Thundercats statues for the new 2011 series as well?
If you could layer Lordore's question with my own, wouldn't necessarily need to be its own seperate question, but I'm interested in knowing if they are REQUIRED to also do statues for the new show. A long standing rumor is that the old 80s show and the new 2011 show were a package deal: take it or leave it. Also that anyone who signed was required to produce figures for both shows. So I"m curious as to if that is part of the deal that they signed (again this more or less forms off of Lordore's last question).
Grune_The_Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
Manny
Thunderian Legend

Send a message via AIM to Manny

Added teaser photo to Mark's post. Really amazing sculpt, even at this stage of the production.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
Lordore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Added teaser photo to Mark's post. Really amazing sculpt, even at this stage of the production.

And by this teaser photo i think my third question has been pretty much answered. Lion-o's sculpt is almost identical to McGuiness cover.
Very impressive. I am really curious to see how the real fabric clothing will work on Lion-o...

Maybe i can rephrase my question like that:

The rest of the Thundercats characters, if they are to be made, will also be faithful to the WS comics?

And i would like to add one more question:

5) How many limited pieces(Artist Proof or regular) will be produced?
Lordore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:57 AM   #6
Bernie'sPiano
Berbill

A beautiful sculpture, spoiled only by the face (for me). All just my opinion, but once again we have a 'Lion-o about to slit someone's throat' pose. That's just not how I ever saw Thundercats and I don't know why it's all so aggressive. That's probably just me though. Body and clothes wonderful! It does indeed look just like the McGuiness cover - sadly, that looked nothing like Lion-o either.

I'm hopeful that when the action figures come, they'll be more cartoon accurate. I think Icon, Pop, and Hard Hero have all made the same mistake because they're trying to make 'exciting' poses over accuracy. Hopefully this won't be so much of a problem with the toys.

Cheers
Dave

PS Going by that photo of Lion-o, I'm not sure they've really captured the front door of Cat's Lair. Work needed there I think ;-)
Bernie'sPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:17 AM   #7
Vivek
Barbarian

Send a message via Skype™ to Vivek

Not a fan of the fangs and I agree the face would have been better without being so aggressive. But the rest of the statue is pretty awesome. Hopefully we will see a painted version soon for Comic Con.
Vivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:56 AM   #8
Lord LionO
Rampager

NOT liking it and I'm glad! The sculpt is great but the face is completely off. I'm so glad I'm not tempted to get it :-) It looks like Sabretooth bumped 80's Lion-O off the cliff, nothing like Lion-O so I'm gonna have pass, thanks for the effort and saving me $400+ dollars :-) I still think Hard Hero's Lion-O has come the closest in achieving the characters likeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlor View Post
As you'll soon see on the front page, ThunderCatsLair.org is the first site to bring you an exclusive reveal of the work in progress - not final Lion-O statue by Pop Culture Shock. The image we're sharing doesn't include the base or the cloth costume that will come with the final version and there may still be some changes to the statue before it is finalized.

Jerry Macaluso who heads up the work on the ThunderCats statues has kindly agreed to an interview with ThunderCatsLair.org and so we're inviting you to submit your questions of Jerry in this thread.

I'll include a select number of questions in a list for the interview and we'll publish Jerry's answers here on the site.

Thanks,
Grizz

NOT liking it and I'm glad! The sculpt is great but the face is completely off. I'm so glad I'm not tempted to get it :-) It looks like Sabretooth bumped 80's Lion-O off the cliff, nothing like Lion-O so I'm gonna have pass, thanks for the effort and saving me $400+ dollars :-) I still think Hard Hero's Lion-O has come the closest in achieving the characters likeness.

EDIT:

Old 06-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #9
Mark / Grizzlor
Site Director

Send a message via Skype™ to Mark / Grizzlor

I've often found that more modern interpretations of Lion-O depict him as a more mature adult than his cartoon likeness. And this usually makes him look more like Wolverine or Sabretooth to me. The Hard Hero Lion-O had hints of Wolverine in his face, especially the chiseled jawline.

I am however, a fan of the grittier, harder versions of Lion-O and I think this is a terrific statue.

Last edited by Mark / Grizzlor; 06-16-2010 at 05:40 AM..
Mark / Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
mcss aerocoupe

Beautiful sculpt, except for two things for me: the fangs (as others have stated), and the hair. The fangs have already been discussed, and I feel the same as Lord LionO.

The hair actually has two problems for me. The hair line is more or less straight across the forehead vs the V down that is seen in virtually every other version (cartoon, comic, Hard Hero), although that could just be a bad angle to make it look straight across.

But the bigger issue for me is just so much hair; it looks like he could hide the clawshield in his hair and no one would notice. In fact, comparing the statue to the McGuiness cover, it would appear this statue represents Lion-O having more hair than even Cheetara. Just an eyeball estimate here, the statue's hair is twice as high and twice as long/wide as the McGuiness cover proportions. I like the detail to making the hair look real, but this Lion-O needs to make a pit stop by the ThunderBarber for a much needed haircut.

Edit: Forgot to actual post my questions, lol.

#1. Why add fangs to Lion-O's teeth?

#2. Why is Lion-O sporting so much hair?

#3. Will the Eye of Thundera be flat (as it appears to be in the photo) or will it be curved outward?

Last edited by mcss aerocoupe; 06-16-2010 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Forgot to ask my questions!!
mcss aerocoupe is offline   Reply With Quote